Blueprint (Fall 2020)
Unloop Project Handoff Call (Spring 2020)
Rescuing Leftover Cuisine Project Handoff Call (Spring 2020)
1951 User Testing Session (Fall 2019)
People Power Solar Cooperative Project Handoff Call (Spring 2020)
Blueprint is a non-profit organization aimed at bringing technologies to local nonprofit organizations that are making social change. We want to aid and be part of the group of community builders who are doing meaningful productive work. Each semester, teams of seven to eight students work with nonprofit organizations to implement technologies for efficiency and accessibility. We work on web and mobile applications for our clients to help them address and solve some of their systemic problems.
🔍 We are looking for:
- You value strong communication with everyone, not just your team, such as listening to others perspectives while also providing your own. Though you will be the singular designer on your team, ideas cannot come to life without strong communication between your leads, developers, and the NPOs, to figure out exactly what is needed and to keep improving and evolving your work.
- You're highly flexible and able to learn and adapt to different methods and facets of design. As the sole designer, you'll have to wear many hats—conducting research, ideating on interactions, creating the visual interface, prototyping, and more. Having the ability to work with different frameworks and adapt to the situation as work progresses is essential in creating a strong end product.
- You think critically about what you build and why. Collaborating with NPO’s and the communities they serve directly is your idea as a starting point in building the right thing. You can also take a seed of an idea, cultivate it, and bring it to fruition through different critical thinking frameworks and lenses, and are not afraid of constructive criticism.
- You enjoy building equitable and inclusive solutions for communities. You’re willing to put the time and energy to ensure the solutions you’re building directly match the needs and experiences of the users and communities you are building for
- You enjoy growing by taking on new challenges and teaching the lessons you learn along the way. When we work on our projects for our NPOs, developers get to share their work, the challenges they faced and the lessons they learned
🌿 What you will do:
- Engage in regular conversations with our nonprofit partners to ideate on design solutions that optimally support the communities they serve.
- Collaborate with a team of developers, a Tech Lead, and a Project Manager, as well as other designers to build accessible solutions for nonprofits and communities.
- Define a product scope and design fully fleshed out features for our projects assigned through weekly/bi-weekly tasks from your Project Manager. Participate in regular weekly work-sessions and meetings with project team, and regular calls with the NPO point of contact to receive feedback and continually iterate.
- Get a foundational base on our design process through our designer onboarding curriculum and partner with one of our more experienced designers to get started.
- Partake in critical conversations around social justice in the context of your team's project and the overall social good space.